13 Things You Might Not Know about Michael Kang
Think you know all about mandolin and violin master Michael Kang from The String Cheese Incident? Put your knowledge to the test.
13 Things You Might Not Know about Michael Kang:
1. Michael Kang was born on May 13, 1971 in South Korea.
2. He’s lived in 6 different countries, including the United States. In the U.S., he’s lived in four states — New York, San Francisco, Alaska, and Colorado.
3. The person who influenced him most is David Grisman because he opened up the mandolin to many other styles of music.
4. He graduated from University of California, Berkeley.
5. When Kang was in college, he worked for the environmental organization Greenpeace.
6. In June 2013, Kang recorded on Boulder-based indie-rock band Summa’s debut EP.
7. Over the years, Kang has played with many super groups and side projects including Emmitt Nershi Band, Commotion, Panjea, Kyle Hollingsworth Band and Everyone Orchestra.
8. The first instrument he learned to play was the violin.
9. Before forming String Cheese Incident, he was an emergency medical technician and ski patrolman.
10. The String Cheese Incident initially gigged simply in exchange for free lift tickets at ski resorts throughout the western U.S. before they started to gain popularity.
11. Michael Kang and the rest of SCI founded their own independent record label, SCI Fidelity Records.
12. Artists on SCI Fidelity Records include The String Cheese Incident, Keller Williams, Umphrey’s McGee, Lotus, The Infamous Stringdusters, The Greyboy Allstars, Conspirator, 30db, Emmitt-Nershi Band, Kyle Hollingsworth, EOTO, DJ Harry and others.
13. Michael Kang is the youngest member of String Cheese Incident.
Happy 45th Birthday, Kang!
Photo credit: Jester Jay Music
Be sure to follow @CirculationDesk for contest info, updates and more!