23 Things You May Not Know About Chance the Rapper
Happy 23rd Birthday to Chance the Rapper! We're celebrating with some deep Chance knowledge.
23 Things You May Not Know About Chance the Rapper:
1) Chance the Rapper’s real name is Chancelor Bennett.
2) In January 2015, Chance the Rapper was named #7 on Forbes’ 2015 30 Under 30: Music.
3) The first hip-hop album Chance bought was Kanye’s “The College Dropout.” Before that, he was mostly interested in soul and jazz.
4) During his senior year in high school, Chance was suspended for 10 days, which lead to writing and recording his first mixtape, “10 day.”
5) Chance The Rapper’s father served as Deputy Assistant for President Obama.
6) When Chance was interning for President Obama’s 2008 campaign, he was given a laptop from 1997 to work from. He was allowed to keep it and started writing raps on it.
7) Chance the Rapper is part of Donnie Trumpet’s neo-soul, jazz fusion four-piece band, The Social Experiment.
8) The Social Experiment’s album, “Surf,” is one of the highest acclaimed albums of 2015, according to review aggregator website Metacritic.
9) The album “Surf” refers to making “wavy” music, which is a term meaning when a rap artist sings in addition to (or while) rapping.
10) Chance the Rapper’s mixtapes — “10 days” and “Acid Rap” — are free to download.
11) Chance’s nickname "Mr. YOUmedia" comes from the multimedia, youth-learning space in Chicago that was the music home for him Vic Mensa, Saba, Noname Gypsy and other artists.
12) After the passing of their mentor and YOUmedia coordinator Mike Hawkins, Chance the Rapper hosted open mic nights for high school students across Chicago so they could also have an outlet to showcase their talent.
13) His mixtape “Acid Rap” has over 1 million downloads, according to mixtape site Datpiff.
14) Taylor Bennett — Chance the Rapper’s younger brother — is also a Chicago rapper.
15) In November 2014, Chance the Rapper was presented with Chicago's "Outstanding Youth of the Year Award" by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
16) Chance the Rapper is a member of the Chicago hip-hop collective SaveMoney along with Chicago rappers Vic Mensa, Joey Purp, Kami de Chukwu and more.
17) In March 2015, Chance the Rapper made his film debut in “Mr. Happy,” a short film directed by Grammy-nominated music video director Colin Tilley.
18) Chance is an aspiring comedian and actor. He auditioned for the film “Straight Outta Compton.”
19) On April 30, 2015, Chance the Rapper gave a lecture at Harvard University's Hiphop Archive & Research Institute.
20) Chance appeared on Kanye West's album “The Life of Pablo” on the track "Ultralight Beam." He also co-wrote "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1", "Famous", "Feedback", and "Waves".
21) Kirk Franklin is Chance’s favorite composer and one of his favorite artists.
22) Chance has two previously-unreleased tapes “Good Enough” and “The Back To School Pack EP.” He wrote and recorded both in high school.
23) Chance was 14 years-old when he first recorded a song. He was at a studio his cousin used to run in Chicago.